Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas Equity

When you're the parents of more than one child,
Christmas can often be hectic and wild.
Of course, there's all of the cooking and baking,
The decorating, the Christmas card making,
And the shopping for friends and relatives dear.
Yet, there is one thing that can fill you with fear:
How to be equitable with your kids' gifts.
You do not want to cause arguments or rifts
About who got the biggest and best Christmas stuff.
You fret and ask yourself, "Do I have enough?"
"Did I spend as much on Jill as I did on Jack?"
"Is there some present I might have to take back?"
I worry and wonder, and might even cry:
"Is there one more present I have yet to buy?"
I run to the store, and get one more gift for Ken.
I count all of the gifts and I count them again.
Everything seems even, so I start to wrap.
Things are looking good, and I take a short nap.
Late Christmas Eve all gifts are under the tree.
I'm feeling relief and as calm as I can be.
It's time to put away the wrapping supplies.
I open the closet, and what a surprise!
And what to my wondering eyes do appear,
But forgotten gifts I'd bought earlier this year!
There are two gifts for Jack, and three gifts for Jill,
And as for Ken, there are even more gifts still.
I stew, fret, then from the closet walk away.
I'll save the contents for the next Christmas day.

1 comment:

Julie T said...

This is a masterpiece and needs to be submitted!!!! But where? Where is the best venue for a universally appreciated and agreed upon piece such as this? It describes both my emotions and experience year after year to a tree/tee! You clever thing, Natalie! All that know you truly appreciate you-but there are many who would so enjoy your words...We're waiting!!!