Monday, October 19, 2009

New Shoes or A Hearty Bowl

This is for you, Susan:

BACKGROUND INFORMATION, SECTION 1: Mark's latest food addiction is a Jack in the Box "hearty bowl." I've never tasted one, but it looks like a mixture of "hashbrowns," bacon, sausage, cream sauce and cheese. Mark likes his sans cream sauce and cheese. I can get him to do almost anything (except maybe homework) for a hearty bowl. If I'm running errands and Lance is home supervising homework, I will often phone home to see if Mark is engaged in a productive activity (i.e. doing homework). If he is, I'll usually stop by JITB and purchase a hearty bowl to take home. My reward is a hug, a kiss and a flowery expression of gratitude.

BACKGROUND INFORMATION, SECTION 2: The shoelaces broke in Mark's shoes that I purchased a month or so ago. They were elasticized laces and "worked" differently than normal ones. Mark was convinced that the shoes could no longer be worn and has begged for new shoes for several days. Lance tried to convince him that he didn't need new shoes, just new laces. Mark disagreed. He tried to win me over to seeing the shoe situation his way.

During my errand-running this afternoon, I called home to check on things ("things" meaning whether or not homework was being done). Mark asked if I planned to purchase new shoes for him and if I would get him a hearty bowl. When I mentioned that I was only going to buy laces instead of shoes unless he had the money to buy shoes, he replied, "Okay, you can just get me the laces. Will you still get me a hearty bowl, though?"

I returned home with shoelaces and hearty bowls (1 for Mark and 1 for Zach). I'm a good mom--today.

1 comment: