Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Busted!

I got caught speeding yesterday. It happened as I drove from Costco to pick up the boys from school. I didn't realize I was exceeding the speed limit (as I'm unfamiliar with the speed limit on that particular road) until I saw the officer and then saw the speed limit sign. I knew I was going to get pulled over, and I did.

Outwardly, I was a good sport and answered, very matter-of-factly, all of the officer's questions. Yes, I knew how fast I was going. Yes, I saw the speed limit sign. No, I didn't see the speed limit sign at the top of the hill when I turned onto that road. No, I didn't have any questions. I said very little. I wanted to be funny, but I just couldn't. I clammed up under pressure. At least, I didn't cry. I don't like to cry--especially in front of a stranger.

I should have said, "I have never before been issued a speeding ticket," and/or "Will you just give me a warning so my perfect driving record isn't ruined?" But what I REALLY wanted to say was, "I weigh MUCH less than what is written on my license." (He didn't even say, "Gee, you look a lot thinner than what your driver's license shows.)

Since I had just come from purchasing many items for our church Christmas party, I silently prayed that the officer would have mercy and just issue a warning. My prayers weren't answered the way I wanted them to be.

I can't fault the officer; I was breaking the law. But, he didn't crack a smile. His words were uttered in a very monotone voice. He was probably my age. Or older. And, darn it all--he disproved my theory that all motorcycle cops are good-looking!

Here's my question for you, dear readers: should I pay the $154 fine or go to jail?

5 comments:

Heather said...

How long in jail? Just an overnight?

McIntire Madness said...

Neither! Fight the ticket!

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Is there not an option to go to traffic school or something?

Janet said...

My last speeding ticket came while making a trip to Costco to do a big favor for a friend! I feel your pain!

Julie T said...

I'm SO sorry! That should never have happened/been "awarded"! Here you go, I'll say it: "You look a LOT thinner than you do on your license!" I'd just pay the money but make sure it does not go on your record, which means you have to show up at court I think.