Monday, March 7, 2011

Blood Draw and Writing

I have deep, hard-to-find veins. If I'm dehydrated, it makes finding those veins next to impossible. Just ask the nurses that tried to start an IV before I had my colonoscopy a few months ago. I'm always thrilled when I encounter someone who knows how to get my veins to cooperate, someone who will listen to me when I tell them to use a butterfly needle. I really don't mind getting my blood taken. It's never bothered me. Needles have never scared me. But, I don't like it when health professionals dig around in my arm for minutes on end trying to find a vein. It begins to hurt after a while.

Imagine my delight today when I showed up at LabCorp and was greeted by the same phlebotomist who drew my blood a few months ago. He was a pro. He still is a pro. He is one of my new best friends. I should have asked his name.

Before lunching with a group of friends today, I met up with one of my dearest friends, Julie, for a little chat. We talked about our kids and a few other things before she asked, "Are you writing?" She knows I completed a 2-year course in writing children's literature. I was a little embarrassed to tell her that I really don't write much. I should write. I want to write. But it's probably important to have something to write about. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . .

Stay tuned . . .

2 comments:

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Surely you could come up with a truly relate-able "real boy" character to get into all kinds of adventures and mishaps based off your dear son Mark. I always laughed at the things you'd post on the family website. ;)

Heather said...

I too share your love of skilled phlebotomists.

That Julie, always asking the tough questions.

I love your writing and will be waiting to read it whenever you're ready.