Saturday, May 4, 2013

Maiden Trip to the Big Apple!


THE BIG APPLE, DAY 1

Cousin Susan deposited me at Union Station in Washington, DC the morning of April 10. (It was daughter Sara’s 23rd birthday, and I spent the day thousands of miles away from the birthday girl.  Her father had to bake and decorate her cake, give her the gifts and treat her to dinner without me.)  My only other visit to DC was 31 years ago after my college graduation.  I enjoyed passing by many of the sites I’d visited then and wished I would have scheduled more vacation time so as to have at least a couple of days there.  I was anxious to get to New York, though.
Taking Amtrak was a breeze.  I loved watching the scenery as we sped toward New York.  I’d never been in that part of country before, and it was fun adding more states to the list of those traveled to/through—Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York.  I’d love to visit those areas at a more leisurely pace another time.

Penn Station was bustling with people.  I wasn’t quite sure where to go after exiting the train, so I followed the masses to the top of the escalator and just stood in one place waiting for Glenys.  I didn’t have to wait long and was excited to spot her.  I thought we’d be taking the subway to their apartment, but Uncle Ramy came from his home in New Jersey to pick us up. 
I had never heard so much honking in my life as I heard on that drive to Harlem.  Welcome to New York City!  Taxis.  Buses.  Cars.  Delivery trucks.  I expected to witness at least one accident, but didn’t, thankfully.  If I lived in NYC, I would not own nor drive a car.  No need to, really.

Sonia had a delicious lunch (chicken, red beans and rice, etc.) waiting for us when we arrived at her apartment.  The apartment building is old, but their apartment is charming and spacious.  I was very happy to see where my son-in-law called home for several years.  Sonia, Glenys, and little Sofia have made their apartment very welcoming and lovely with fabric covers on the dining room chairs, lace-edged cloths on the kitchen cupboard shelves, sheer drapes in each room.  Glenys bought fresh roses and put them on the kitchen table, coffee table, and dresser in “my” bedroom.  I appreciated all of the special touches.  The ladies had even put together a basket of toiletries just for me. 

Ramy went back to work, and Glenys and I set out on foot to explore part of Harlem.  Brownstone houses, the Apollo Theater, an Indian art display at a library, the building housing Bill Clinton’s office, Kareem Abdul Jabar’s house and the “projects” were some of the things we saw.  Glenys, being the cute lady that she is, got a lot of attention.  One guy even said, “I’m pretty sure you used to be my wife.”  Glenys said that everyone is respectful and nice to her because she is nice and respectful to them.  She doesn’t ever worry about her safety when walking home alone at night. 
 

 

Five-year-old Sofia was waiting for us when we returned to the apartment.  She was very excited to see me, and greeted me with lots of hugs.  She enjoyed the little gift I gave her.  Always attentive and anxious to meet all my needs and wants, Sonia had snacks and ice cream ready for us.  We had a nice evening chatting and then went to bed to get ready for another big day in the Big Apple.

2 comments:

RachelleP said...

:) I laughed at the part about the honking

Julie T said...

Was Glenys adverse to having her photo taken? I would love to see this super star again! I remember the honking and you are not exaggerating!