Sunday, June 15, 2014

Part Three: Iceland

DAY THIRTEEN (continued):  For some reason, I was given a thorough pat-down as I went through security at Kastrup (and again when we left Keflavik).  Were we sitting in first class?  We sure had lots of legroom.  I didn't ask, but just enjoyed it.  I even had the aisle seat.  It was a short flight (under 3 hours) to Keflavik.  I didn't see any trees as we made our approach or landed.  Marina, Lance's former coworker, picked us up at the airport and we headed out to see as much as possible in the few hours we had before our next flight.  We went to the ocean, saw some thermal hot pots, and went to the Blue Lagoon--Iceland's most famous tourist attraction.  (Their two biggest industries are fishing and tourism.)  Here we are at the Blue Lagoon.  We opted to not go in the water.  (Marina told us later that had we gone in, it would have taken us 3 days to wash the mud out of our hair.  They sell the mud in many shops.)  Homes are heated with thermal energy in Iceland (at least most of them are).




Lance and Marina:



I'm sure I had some really nice photos of the coast and ocean, but something bad happened to my camera, and they didn't turn out.  I must return here, too.  Eight hours wasn't enough time to spend in Iceland.  I must say, though, that I had one of the best salmon meals of my life in Reykjavik!  Reykjavik was quaint, lovely and fun, too.  Marina was a very good tour guide.  Her Land Rover comes in handy in a place like Iceland.


I bought a few Icelandic souvenirs, and then we headed back to the airport.  Good-bye, Marina!  Good-bye, Iceland!  I hope we can visit again some day.

And that, folks, was the end of our trip after an 8-hour flight home.  We were tired, dirty and grateful!!!

No comments: