Thursday, September 24, 2009

Animal Farm

I've never read George Orwell's Animal Farm. I have, however, read books about animal farms. And several books just about animals. I wouldn't consider myself an "animal" person, but animal behavior fascinates me. One might think that because I've read so many animal tales that I would be tempted to add more animals to our one-animal house. Not so. I don't ever picture myself owning a bird, cat or other domesticated animal besides our dog, Sadie. I don't even plan to get a "replacement" dog when Sadie no longer resides with us. She is daughter Rachelle's dog, you see.

Here, before your eyes, is a fairly comprehensive list of the animal books that I have read. I highly recommend most of them:

Marley and Me
Modoc (claims to be a true story, but I have my doubts; also a little graphic on several levels)
Enslaved by Ducks
The Parrot Who Owns Me
The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill
The Rhino with the Glue-On Shoes
All Things Bright and Beautiful
Homer's Odyssey
Wesley the Owl
The Zookeeper's Wife (not so much a book about animals as it is about WWII)

2 comments:

Annica said...

You should read Animal Farm. It's very political.

McIntire Madness said...

Do you own the Zookeeper's Wife? I need to read that one. I agree, you need to read Animal Farm.