Saturday, August 14, 2010

"Eyes" A Gettin' Older!

I noticed my vision getting a little blurry a few months ago. Wearing my glasses didn't alleviate the problem. So, after procrastinating a bit and worrying that I might have an ophthalmic issue similar to my sister's, I scheduled an eye exam. Turns out that I do have an ophthalmic issue, but one unrelated to my sister's. It's actually related to aging. Can you guess what is wrong with my eyes?

Cataracts!!! Yes, it appears that I'm developing cataracts (mild at this point, but it looks like cataract surgery could be in my future) in both eyes, and I'm not 80 years old yet. I won't even be 51 for another 2 weeks or so. Aren't old people the only ones who get cataracts??? Am I old???? (Please don't tell me the answer to that question if it's "yes.") My little brown-noser Mark said, "You'll never be old in my book; just a little aged."

Gray hair I can live with. I just cover it up with hair dye. Varicose veins are a little harder to live with, but I cover them up with pants and long skirts. Wrinkled skin? Maybe cataracts are a good thing; they make it harder to see the wrinkles. Mark again: "I don't care about your wrinkles, Mom. You always look beautiful."

Beautiful, maybe? But, old!?!?!?!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Don't worry Natalie, Rick even sees babies with congenital cataracts. So this eye issue isn't only a product of age . . .

Annica said...

Just think of it this way - at least you're not going blind!