Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Losing It

I'm not as fat as I used to be. Still fatter than I want and plan to be, though; but, for now, I'm celebrating my success.

In March (the 11th, to be exact) I began the HCG Diet. I would say it's kind of a fad diet, but it has been around, supposedly, for 50 years. Some acquaintenaces have successfully "done it," so I thought I would try it. I tried the South Beach Diet a few years ago and lost a good amount of weight on that, but I gained most of it back.

I've been overweight for years--I don't want to think how many--and I just got tired of carrying all of that excess weight around. Really tired of it. I hated the way I looked, quite frankly. I committed myself to taking action. So, I bought the under-the-tongue drops (many self-administer injections, but I chose another route) and then read about the diet. Had I read all of the specifications first, I might not have bought the drops. It took me a full month to talk myself into starting the program. Meanwhile, I read the book WILLPOWER IS NOT ENOUGH. I must say that "willpower is NOT enough!"

It's a "simple" diet, but it ain't easy. At least, not at first. I had to change many, many things besides the kinds and amounts of food I ate. I had to realize that I couldn't eat in social settings while I was on the first phase of the diet (which lasts anywhere between 23 and 45 or so days).

I stayed on the first phase for 33 days and lost 27 pounds. Then, I began a maintenance phase which lasted 6 weeks. I lost another 6 pounds. (The diet "rules" say that you're not supposed to gain or lose more than 2 pounds while on "maintenance," but I didn't care how much I lost.) I'm back on the first phase and have been for 27 days with another 18 or so to go. In total, I've lost 44 pounds, 5.5 inches off my waist (yes, I do count the .5 inch) and am down 3 pant sizes. I feel GREAT!!! I'm hungry a lot of the time, but the hunger abates from time to time. Who's complaining when I'm losing???

4 comments:

Jenny said...

CONGRATS Natalie! and thanks for telling my mom about it! I've lost 10 pounds so far and I ain't givin up! lol.

Susan Wheeler said...

Both my mother and Pam have been using this diet and had great success. Mom lost 60-plus pounds, and I think you've seen Pam's photo on Facebook on her weight loss.

Julie T said...

Natalie, I'm SO proud of you! You look fantastic and I'm sure you must feel fabulous too! You are living proof that a person really can do it if they want to badly enough! Here's to the final ten!!!

Julie T said...

Natalie, you look fantastic! I'm so proud of you! You are living proof for the rest of us who say we want to lose that we really can if we commit and apply ourselves to it!