Friday, October 19, 2007

Camera Shy

I will be the first to admit (and my husband will agree) that I am still living in the stone age where cameras are concerned. I still use a 35mm camera--complete with film. I've fought long and hard against "converting" to digital. I have my reasons. First of all, I have yet to see one picture printed on real paper that was taken by Lance's digital camera. The pictures are all still stored in the camera or somewhere in the computer. I like holding the pictures in my hand and mailing copies of a selected few to others of my choosing. Secondly, I am still not adept at using a PC. Sure, I can email and word process (for the most part), and I can even "surf the net," but I have NO idea how to scan photos or even hook the camera up to the computer to transfer the photos from one part of outer space to another. Digital Camera is a foreign language akin to Finnish, and I don't know Finnish. However, something happened earlier in the week that is making me reconsider my cavewoman ways.

In an earlier post, I told of the fun adventures I had last week with Ruth and Tamra. Well, Ruth left her camera in Utah, and Tamra's 35mm camera (see, I'm not the only one!) was behaving erratically. I assured both guests that I had a great camera and plenty of film, so I would take all of the pictures. I then promised to get extra prints made and mail them to them. Good plan, or so I thought. I took photos of nearly everything we did, and made Ruth and Tamra pose more times than they wanted, but I was bound and determined to capture the memories. I finished one roll of film and loaded another. Not content to wait for the second roll to be taken, I delivered the first roll to a local one-hour photo lab and ordered 3 copies of each print. Imagine my distress when the photo technician told me that my negatives had been double-exposed and that NONE (that means not one) of the pictures "turned out." I guess that another family member (and I will not name names on this public website) used the film and it didn't roll back up into the roll like it should have, so I thought the roll was fresh. Now I'm worried that the roll currently in my camera is in the same condition. Will more memories go uncaptured on film?

What to do? I am willing to consider what everyone else has been telling me for years, it seems--time to buy my own digital camera!

4 comments:

Noelle said...

Natalie...I think it's time. If mom can do it, you can do it. :) I have faith in you.

Anonymous said...

If you had pictures on the computer, you could just e-mail them to people instead of having to mail them and risking them getting destroyed. Also, you can get a picture printer that you simply hook the digital camera up to and press "print" when you see one that you want to print. It saves so much time and money. Good job on being willing to get one!

Julie T said...

Dear Camera Shy,

I am soon to buy my first digital camera. I agree there are a few big drawbacks but in the long run I know we will be much happier! We have done LOTS of research and can save you time by just sending you to the Canon Elphs-most are great, we will probably go for the 850 or if you prefer the A720IS which has almost twice the zoom, operates on double A batteries and tells you hours, not seconds before when your battery is going to give out!
Anyway, the computer stuff is hard at first for us half century folk, then much easier after several tries, and soon, second nature. There are even free classes at random elementary schools taught by volunteers for the elderly...but you don't qualify for 2 more years!!

Stefanie Elyse said...

go for Canon- they make the best cameras. And I was a Nikon fan for years! I've finally come around and accepted the fact. I love my CanonSD750. Just be sure to get a quality case for it!