Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Not-so-perfect Halloween

I feel a little guilty today on this boo-tiful holiday. Guilty because this is the first time in 17 years of having an elementary school child, I have not attended the school costume parade. Now, before you rush to judgment regarding my mothering skills, allow me to explain my out-of-the-ordinary behavior. I lost my Halloween spirit. Well, kind of, but that's not the real reason. The main reason is that I had a very important appointment to keep for one of my ghouls and I couldn't reschedule unless I wanted to move the appointment way out into the future closer to another holiday (Thanksgiving). The other reason is that I have a 5th-grader, and this year--for the first time since our kids began attending this elementary--the 5th and 6th graders were not invited to be "Harvest Parade" (the politically correct term these days) participants. So, you see, I didn't really "need" to attend the parade and see other people's costumed cherubs parade through the crowded and noisy school hallways. Besides, I freed up a parking space for another parade spectator.

I atoned in advance for my negligence by baking, frosting and decorating 48 cupcakes (complete with homemade buttercream frosting, no less), and by providing the paper plates, napkins and cups for Mark's party. Sadly, though, I don't have any pictures of the party to share with Mark's posterity, but if I find the camera before the night is over, I'll at least have some photos of him in his wicked "Scream" costume.

3 comments:

Noelle said...

I'm intrigued by this Scream costume. Is this in reference to Edvard Munch's Scream? Good job on the cupcakes :) Did you get a digital camera already?!

Julie T said...

Just freeing up the highly coveted parking space alone was worth your not physically attending the Parade! You've GOT to give yourself a couple brakes (breaks?) in life Natalie! I want to see the costume too! Let me know when you get your digital!

Stefanie Elyse said...

"Harvest Parade?" Spare me. The days of Norman Rockwell... You're almost finished! I enjoyed your allusion to the "ghouls" appointment :) I think you're the punniest person I know! (Sorry mom if you're reading this...)