Friday, March 27, 2009

You've Served Me Well

Over the years I've learned a few "tricks" of the motherhood trade that have served me well, so to speak. I'm happy to share what I've learned. Feel free to use any or all or take them with a grain of salt. Keep in mind that I make no guarantees to their effectiveness with YOUR children. (Sometimes they weren't/aren't even effective with my own offspring,)

*The poker face. (A non-reaction almost always beats a reaction.)
*The time-out. (For kids and parents.)
*The bribe. (Forget what the parenting books say about this; but use it with caution.)
*The non-committal answer. (Use sparingly.)
*Make few, if any, promises. (They can and will be used against you.)
*Always take a change of clothes. (For the kids--if they're under the age of 5.)
*Keep a container in the car that can be used for sudden emesis. (Emesis=a proper word for "vomit.")
*"Moistened towelettes" are indispensible.
*Listen first; talk later. (Unless, of course, you're in the midst of an emergency.)
*"Hmmmm," is often the best response.
*Write down the amusing things your kids say and do. (These anecdotes can be used against them when they're teenagers if need be.)
*Teenage boys really do like kisses from their moms. (Not to be given in public, though.)
*Head rubs will calm an out-of-control child (and mom).

I could go on, but I won't.

6 comments:

Steve and Holly said...

Why didn't you tell me before I had to learn it for myself?!?

Julie T said...

This is an invaluable list! Seriously, you should send it in to Readers Digest, at least! Keeping food and change of clothes and moist towelettes with you at all times was especially impactful to me! Thanks for sharing! Tell us more!

McIntire Madness said...

The other day I learend that I don't just need a containter for emesis, but you also need a container for an emergency BM (also known as poop) in the car with no where to pull over but in the middle of the construction zone that is not safe outside!

pinkfrostycookies said...

Thanks for the great information! I will soon be testing out the head rubs. Would you please advise me on technique?

NatalieD said...

There really isn't one particular "technique" I use for head rubs, but I just use my fingertips and rub the entire head very lightly. I also use a copper wire hand-held device called "The Tingler" which looks like a pitchfork but has a mesmerizing effect.

Noelle said...

These are very good tips-- I'll have to bookmark this post.