Thursday, March 4, 2010

False Sense of Immunity

In an effort to be more humble and to save others who might otherwise find themselves the victims of a scam, I'm "coming clean" on something that happened earlier this week. I acted stupidly. Mark said, "You weren't stupid, just arrogant." Stupid or arrogant? Label me as you see fit.

Spotting a scam? Piece of cake! Or so I thought. Whenever I'd see or hear a report on someone being scammed, I thought something like that would never happen to me. Famous last words.

It all started with an ad for a car on Craiglist that looked a little too good to be true. I emailed the seller. A few little red flags went up, but not enough to discourage me too much. More emails were exchanged and I received a very official-looking "invoice" from "ebay." I did a little bit of research. I should have done more. However, thanks to a series of very fortunate, blessed events, none of our money was lost. The police officers were kind, but wondered why I hadn't seen this on the news. (I rarely watch the news.)

It could have been worse. My pride was hurt, but I still have my money. We still need a car.

2 comments:

Heather said...

glad you didn't lose your shirt. good luck finding a car!

Anonymous said...

Tell us more when you call.

Love, Dad