Friday, October 10, 2008

Living the Scout Slogan

While driving Mark to school yesterday morning, he noticed a classmate lying on the sidewalk. "Stop the car, Mom, and let me out!" Mark exclaimed. "Daegan is hurt!"

I stopped the car and backed up. Meanwhile, two other cars had stopped and the drivers were surveying the scene. Mark assessed Daegan's situation and ran back to the car to report to me. According to Daegan, as he was riding his bike to school, the chain on his bike snapped causing him to crash. He wasn't wearing a helmet and fell face first onto the sidewalk, scraping his chin, nose and hand. Mark helped him get up and walked him to our car, and he and I put Daegan's bike in the back of the car. Daegan's face was ghostly white.

I pulled into the bus lane in front of the school and instructed Daegan to go directly to the health room to get cleaned up. As he walked Daegan's bike into the school, Mark looked over his shoulder, smiled at me and said, "Do a good turn daily!" Indeed. I just wish I had assisted in Mark's good deed while dressed in something other than my pajamas!

No comments: