Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pumpkin Problem

Today I was reminded that I've done some pretty silly, but not so unusual, things as a mom. A few days ago, parents of our school's 6th-graders were emailed and asked to send a small (less than 5 pounds) pumpkin to school today for their student to paint during the class "Harvest Party." (Incidentally, note the "political correctness" of the term "Harvest Party.") I read the email but filed it in the back of my mind.

After Mark left for school I again saw the email and realized that he didn't have a pumpkin. No problem. I went to the store to buy said pumpkin, but the smallest pumpkin there was over 12 pounds. Should I purchase the 12-pounder, go to another store hoping to find a smaller one, or come up with a different option, I asked myself. As I walked around the produce department with the not-so-smallish pumpkin in hand, I noticed that there were some perfect-sized pumpkins that were pre-painted. And expensive ($4.99 each). Realizing that I might not be able to find an unpainted, small pumpkin elsewhere, I bit the bullet and bought the pumpkin.

I was running out of time to get the pumpkin to school before the start of the party, so I bought a small scrub brush (which I rationalized I needed anyway) and some wipes and headed to my car to clean the paint off the pumpkin. I scoured and wiped and the paint disappeared. Voila! A perfect, clean pumpkin. And expensive.

I went to the school and put the pumpkin on Mark's desk while he was at recess. He won't know what a sacrifice I made for him. I may not be a perfect mom, but Mark has a perfect pumpkin. And an expensive one, too.

Post Script: When I returned to the school to catch the end of the party, I saw Mark's unpainted pumpkin on another student's desk. When I asked him about it, he said, "I didn't want it." So much for my efforts!

3 comments:

Heather said...

You really did go the extra mile on that one. Seems fitting that it should go unused. One of the cruel ironies of life.

Annica said...

Maybe Mark will read back on this and feel bad. That was really nice of you!

ellen insights said...

You win some, you lose some. I am sure that if you hadn't gotten that pumpkin you would have heard a different story when he got home. He probably didn't want to paint it because you had cleaned it up and made it look so nice.