Sunday, December 28, 2008

A Series of Unfortunate Events

It all started with the oven heating element exploding. We had to order a replacement part, so we were left without the use of our oven for a few days. Thankfully, our neighbors allowed us to use theirs when we needed to bake.

The next appliance to go on strike was the washer. We had to make a tough call--try to get it fixed or purchase a new one. We bought our highly-recommended Fisher and Paykel washing machine just a few years ago. It was a great machine until it started leaking water everywhere and stopped spinning. The poor thing had probably worked its heart out doing thousands of loads of laundry. Since the machine was made in Australia, it's tough to find an "authorized" repairman, and the parts are hard to come by and expensive. It costs around $100 just to have the repairman look at the machine. Taking all this into consideration, plus the fact that there are some great after-Christmas appliance sales, we decided to buy a new washer. I braved the slushy, icy roads and headed to the local Maytag store to check out their deals. A saleslady showed me several sale models and I bought a "scratched and dented" Whirlpool floor model for a mere $339 (before taxes and delivery). (The "scratched and dented" part of the machine is near the bottom and hardly noticeable.) It will be delivered Wednesday (weather and roads permitting) and our old one will be hauled away. I'll miss the Fisher and Paykel and feel a bit sorry that I've given up on it.

This morning while Lance was ironing church clothes our iron died. Of course, this happened before I had ironed my clothes. I quickly put my outfit in the dryer along with a damp towel. This method mostly worked and the wrinkles in my clothes were hardly noticeable as I left for church.

Lance went out into the garage to back the car out and noticed that someone (probably him as he was the last person to drive the Sienna) had left the interior lights on all night and the battery was dead. Thankfully we have a "spare" van until April, so we drove that to church.

As I sat in the church pew, I whispered to Lance: "When we get home, we may find that our heater or water heater has quit." Lance replied, "Don't say that aloud. I was just thinking that myself."

We returned home to find everything in order. If the remaining working appliances decided to conspire against us while we were at church, they haven't acted out yet!

3 comments:

ellen insights said...

That sounds like some a series of events Geoff and I might have. Last week both vehicles got a flat tire, just a day apart. And around here you don't want to drive anywhere with out a spare. Luckily, we had some kind church members come to our aid.

Julie T said...

I sure hope your Maytag repairman continues to be the idlest man in the warehouse! :) We love our Maytags and wish you many faithful years of service! :)

NatalieD said...

Actually, we bought a Whirlpool at the Maytag Store. Do you still hope that our washer will give us "many faithful years of service," Julie?