Friday, May 15, 2009

A Birthday for BooBah!

My eldest daughter has now caught up to my age; we're both 24! It honestly seems like just a year or two ago when I really was that age. Funny thing is that at 24 we are/were both working in health-related careers. Annica works in a hospital, and I worked for the Utah Department of Health.


Annica has brought us much joy over the years and has developed into a beautiful young woman. She came into the world with a very independent spirit and has always seemed very confident and secure in who she is. Entertaining herself and others came naturally to her.


The summer Zachary was born, Annica organized a summer school for the neighborhood children. She formed lesson plans, and made bathroom "passes," lunch tickets and the like. When I voiced some concern about which areas of the house she would use for her school, she said, "I'll just use the whole upstairs and the family room, and you and Zachary can stay in the downstairs bedroom." She never did carry out her plan, but sure had a good time organizing everything.

Annica had an active imagination and was and is very artistic and creative. Unlike most other young children, she never drew "stick" figures. One of the first pictures she drew was of someone getting a haircut. She drew the person with a tiny pair of scissors on each strand of hair.

She expressed her creativity in other ways as well. She and friend Noelle tried to find a more efficient way to use the bathroom, so they experimented with a way that involved neither removing nor pulling down any item of clothing. They both ended up wet. And smelly.

Annica used to make lists of goals and aspirations. One of her goals was "to not go through labor giving birth." We'll see if she reaches that goal.

This lovely daughter makes friends very easily. She's very personable and potential employers like her. That's why she's been hired for almost every job she's ever applied for.

She used to be terrified of dogs. Really terrified. Really, really terrified. Obviously, she's overcome much of her fear because she now has her own dog to care for and love.

She is married to a wonderful guy, Josh, who takes very good care of her. They make a great team, and we love them both. They help each other in so many ways and work at making a happy life for themselves.

Happy birthday, my sweet daughter. I love you so very much!!!

5 comments:

Annica said...

Thanks mom! Love you!

Noelle said...

Natalie,
Thanks for sharing that sweet tidbit about the bathroom experiment. :) We were young, what can I say.

Happy Birthday Annica!!!
Love,
Noelle

Melanie said...

Happy birthday, Annica! I still remember how happy I was the day you were born! I was thrilled to be an aunt (and still am)! I'm looking forward to seeing you this weekend!!!

Steve and Holly said...

I gave birth to one child without labor. I would recommend that she revise her goal because given the current options it's generally much better --I'll spare the details--the labor way.;)

Stefanie Elyse said...

Oooh! Some new juice on Noelle! I've never heard about that bathroom efficiency thing... :) Happy Birthday to Annica!