Thursday, November 6, 2008

Oprah Was Wrong!

Apologies to all of the Oprah worshippers, but Oprah was wrong. I'm not referring to her support of Barack Obama, but to her Oprah Book Club pick. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski is a very disappointing read. The ending totally ruined what could have been a decent story--one worthy of Oprah's praise. There were enough good parts to keep me hooked for about 556 pages, but the last 6 pages left me feeling empty, hollow and horribly disappointed. The ending was tragic, and many questions were left unanswered. Not my kind of book.

Driving my children home from school today, I told them about the book and how I wasted many of my precious hours reading it. Fifteen-year-old Zachary said, "Well, Mom, you may have wasted hours of your life reading it, but don't waste hours of your life complaining about it." Well said.

2 comments:

Stefanie Elyse said...

That is so funny :) Oh gosh, I just know I was that child who would say anything to shut my mom up... oops.

Julie T said...

Yes. You were. I only occasionally agree with Oprah's choices. I have stopped reading her picks. A good place to look is at Costco- they seem to have very good book selectors!