Friday, September 12, 2008

Suspension

During lunch recess Wednesday Mark and 3 or 4 school buddies gathered around a small area on the school playground sand to experiment with a magnifying glass and leaves. They all took turns trying to burn the leaves with the glass, and many of them succeeded in getting their leaves to produce smoke. Apparently, a recess teacher saw smoke and marched the boys into the principal's office.

According to the school handbook, the boys committed a school violation classified as "arson" (lighting a fire on school property, causing anything to be burned on school property, etc.) and were each given a 1-day school suspension. The "rules" state that any degree of arson is to be punishable by an emergency expulsion, and a police report must be filed. When Principal Livingston called me, she informed me of Mark's offense, stated the rule and the consequence for breaking it, and told me that after talking to her boss, she was "only" giving each of them a 1-day suspension. She also noted that Mark claimed something to the effect that since he is a Boy Scout, he is authorized to light fires.

Mark knew he was in trouble with his parents, but tried to explain to us that he didn't know he was breaking a rule, and that the rules should have been given to him in written form. I told him that I didn't receive a list of rules when he was born stating that I shouldn't beat my children with a metal chain. I had a point. We then chatted about "common sense." His punishment was to work for me all day long yesterday while he was home. He, of course, had to do his homework and reading; additionally, he cleaned the patio, dusted, helped with laundry and did a few other things. He wasn't allowed any computer, TV or video game time. He isn't prone to warrant another suspension any time in the near future--I hope!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Oh Natalie, I'm so sorry. Glad you got a free piano dusting out of the deal, however.