Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Terminated

Two weeks ago yesterday, I was in the middle of having a lovely birthday when, out of the blue, my precious 18-year-old daughter Sara was fired from her job. Mind you, this was the first job she'd had. She'd dreamed of becoming a contributing member of the labor force, and once she got this job, she was thrilled! She worked hard and received compliments from several shift managers. She even heard people complimenting her "behind her back." She was always a few minutes early to work eager to be at the store in plenty of time to start her shift. Sara's job forced her to interact with lots of people--something that has been a challenge for her all her life; but she learned to interact and reported that it wasn't as scary as she had previously thought. All that changed on Labor Day, ironically.

Sara was getting ready for work when the HR manager called our home at 10:30 to ask Sara where she was. Sara replied that she was getting ready for work and would be there at noon--the time she thought her shift started. The manager said something to the effect of, "Well, your shift started at 10:00 because today's a holiday. Since you've worked here just a few weeks, we have to terminate your employment." End of conversation. Sara was devastated and I was shocked and mad. Yes, Sara made a mistake by misreading the work schedule. She should have written her hours down or photocopied the schedule, but she didn't. I just couldn't believe that she would be "fired" and not given even a warning. Of course, the HR manager was completely within her right to terminate Sara and she wasn't even obligated to offer an explanation. However, I still think Sara's termination was "cruel and unusual."

At the urging of several others, I paid a visit to the store and spoke with the HR manager, Ria. I was accompanied by my assertive 21-year-old daughter Rachelle. I introduced myself to Ria and asked her if Sara's account of their phone conversation was accurate--that she was fired for being late to her shift. Ria said, "Yes. I really like Sara, but I had to terminate her because she didn't show up on time for her shift." I countered, "I understand Sara made a mistake and misread the schedule. She's sorry about that. She should have been more attentive to the schedule, but you're firing her without even a warning?" Ria's thin smile never disappeared as she answered, "Yes." When I asked if Sara could be given a second chance, Ria replied, "No." Again, Ria's smile stayed the same. I became a little teary-eyed to my embarrassment, but my daughter's happiness was at stake and I am her mother. I continued, "Well, I have shopped at this store for 21 years and have spent a lot of money here. I don't think I want to shop here again, and some of my friends may choose not to shop here either." (In fact, one friend said she was going to chew out the manager "right after I buy my beads.") Smile intact, Ria just nodded and said, "Yes."

I haven't been back to Ben Franklin since.

6 comments:

Melanie said...

Reading this makes me furious about the situation all over again!!!

Noelle said...

How sad! I'll never think of Ben Franklin the same way again. :( Poor Sara. I hope she finds another job she likes (maybe even more than the first...)

Annica said...

I'm still mad about that too! I slept through soooo many shifts at Home Depot and they still kept me. Ben Franklin is just dumb.

Anonymous said...

From Susan: It is interesting that your area must have so many fine young people to fill these types of jobs. Matt worked for Best Buy for a couple of years, and they begged him twice not to quit when he had determined to do so because it was hard to find young people to show up and do good work. Does the HR person not have a manager herself?

Stefanie Elyse said...

Sad.

Preston and Kristin said...

That's horrible. If I had to fire any of my pharmacy staff for being late even once, I wouldn't have any employees. By the way, I'm looking to hire another pharmacy tech. Just send her my way. ;)